melissawritergrrlreads

Jeannette Walls
The Eternity Cure
Julie Kagawa

Cracked up to Be

Cracked Up to Be - Courtney Summers I actually reviewed this one towards the end of January; however, during the process of writing my review, my internet connection timed out and I lost the whole thing. Oops! I really enjoyed the other two books that I read by Courtney (Some Girls Are and This is Not a Test), but something about Cracked Up to Be just fell flat for me. I think it was mainly Parker's character -- I never found myself identifying with her, or empathizing with her in her struggles. The way that she behaved towards everyone around her grated on my nerves and, even when I found out WHY she was behaving the way she was, it still didn't justify her actions for me. Basically, without spoiling anything, Parker used to be the perfect high school girl -- great student, captain of the cheerleading squad, dating the most popular guy in school, etc, etc. And then she becomes the complete opposite -- barely passing her classes, drinking at school, in trouble with the admin, and basically being a royal pain in the butt to everyone around her, including her former friends. I kept reading because I love Courtney Summers' books SO MUCH but, even by the end, I found that this one didn't live up to my expectations. I still have one more of her books to read and my fingers are crossed that it's a better one!