melissawritergrrlreads

Jeannette Walls
The Eternity Cure
Julie Kagawa

Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)

Hopeless - Colleen Hoover After I downloaded this book from Netgalley, I went onto Goodreads to add the book to my "currently reading" shelf. I always quickly glance at the average review before I start reading, and was blown away to notice that it has over 4.5 stars, based on over 46,000 ratings. Clearly, this book has had much love from the bookish community already.Hopeless deserves that love, and deserves that rating. If I could, I would have given four stars to the first half of the book, and then a well-earned five star rating to the last half of the book, which I read almost entirely in one sitting.The book opens with our heroine, Sky, throwing some kind of massive tantrum, smashing a mirror and hurling furniture around a room. She is subdued by Holder who wraps his arms around her and tells her to stop and leave. The next chapter jumps back in time two months, and we start to get to know Sky, especially her inability to form meaningful relationships with boys. Enter Holder -- the first boy who actually does make her feel something. And drives her crazy at the same time.I had issues with Sky and Holder's relationship throughout the first part of the novel because I thought it was gearing up towards an Edward-Bella unstable kind of connection. I mean, at one point, Holder acts like a bit of a jerk, and Sky is not only okay with him not apologizing for his actions, she even seems to love how unstable he is.Then we hit the first of many twists and the storyline positively EXPLODES. All of a sudden, the things that were annoying me in the beginning of the book make perfect sense and I couldn't read fast enough to get through the remainder of the book. Some of the twists I could see coming, while others I was left with my jaw hanging open wondering where THAT came from. I can say one thing about this book: Colleen Hoover knows how to tell a story, and tell it well.I've just signed up to participate in Books with Cass' Summer of Standalones. If you're going to participate this summer, add this one to your TBR list -- it's a great read, and would be perfect for the beach!Note: I received an e-galley of this book from Netgalley. The fact that I received this book for review did not influence my review of this book in any way.